Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Laker Parade Is a Good Idea

Los Angeles is slated to have a parade in honor of the LA Lakers victory in the NBA championships. When I first heard about this, I was strongly against the idea, but I have since changed my mind.

What had me upset was the idea that Los Angeles could be spending a large amount of money to celebrate the achievements of millionaires during a deep recession when the city is contemplating firing thousands of teachers. It seemed irresponsible.

But it turns out that the bill is being mostly footed by wealthy philanthropists which means that the city will not have to go further into debt to fund the parade.

It also turns out that there could be economic benefits to holding the parade for the city. The mayor claims that the parade will boost the economy by $15 million, which is nothing to sneeze at. I’m all for anything that boosts local economies right now.

The parade might also be good in that it promotes city unity and helps people stop thinking about their economic woes for just one night. I think having the parade is a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment